University of Cincinnati: Graduate Positions in computer and robot models of animal behavior (application deadline: January 1).

Dieter Vanderelst

Graduate Positions in computer and robot models of animal behavior
(application deadline: January 1).

I am recruiting highly qualified and motivated Ph.D. students beginning
in summer or fall 2018. My lab focuses on models of navigation, flight
control & foraging in echolocating bats. We build computer simulations,
artificial sonar systems, and robots to develop hypotheses about bat
biosonar. Students are expected to have a keen interest in sensory
biology and possess a robust technical skill set. While we focus on bat
sonar, we also work on models of other species (including humans) and
interested students are encouraged to propose novel research directions.
Please visit my website for examples of ongoing and past projects:
http://www.bitsofbats.net.

*Support*

The biology department offers competitive support packages for qualified
students. The University of Cincinnati, the Department of Biological
Sciences, and the lab have a strong commitment to diversity in science
and graduate education. Students from underrepresented ethnic or racial
minorities will be considered for the new Provost Graduate Fellowship,
which provides a three year $25,000 stipend plus tuition remission, and
the Yates Fellowship, which awards grants to underrepresented minority
candidates.

*The Sensory Biology, Behavior & Evolution group*

Students will be joining the Department of Biological Science’s Sensory
Biology, Behavior & Evolution group (SBBE). This research and graduate
training group focuses on research at the intersection of neurobiology,
behavior, and evolution directed at how organisms sense and respond to
their environment at functional and evolutionary levels. Research
includes mechanisms of sensory system function, neuroethology,
behavioral ecology, sexual selection, sensory ecology, genomics and
evolutionary developmental biology (evo/devo) of sensory traits and
response systems. Research at the intersection of these disciplines is
making significant contributions to many other areas, including human
behavior and medicine, molecular genetics, physiology and endocrinology,
ecology and evolutionary biology. Faculty in this group form
interdisciplinary collaborations with departments in the UC College of
Medicine, Children's Hospital Research Center, Environmental Health,
Biomedical Engineering, and the Molecular Markers Cluster. For
additional information please visit:
https://www.artsci.uc.edu/departments/biology/research/Sbbe.html

*The University of Cincinnati*

The University of Cincinnati is a top-25 public ‘research-intensive’
institution and is ranked among the nation’s best institutions for
undergraduate education. Founded in 1819, our campus boasts
award-winning, modern architecture and is located in close vicinity to
collaborative resources including, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital and
the Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden.

Cincinnati is a vibrant city on the banks of the Ohio River. The region
is home to year-round cultural and entertainment opportunities such as
the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra and National Underground Railroad
Freedom Center, as well as many annual music and cultural festivals.
Cincinnati is also home to major professional sports teams including the
Cincinnati Bengals, Cincinnati Reds, and FC Cincinnati – a new
professional soccer team which draws over 20,000 fans per game. City and
county park systems provide extensive green space for outdoor activities
as well as research and outreach opportunities.

*How to apply*

Students interested in joining the lab should contact Dieter Vanderelst
(vanderdt@...) to discuss their interests. Please include a
brief statement of your research interests, CV, and GRE scores. More
information about the graduate program in the Department of Biological
Sciences can be found here:
http://www.artsci.uc.edu/departments/biology/graduate/future.html.
Graduate applications are due January 1. To apply:
http://www.grad.uc.edu/ApplyOnline.aspx.

Join announce@isal.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.